COLLECTION AND USE
Patient health information will only be used to assist in managing our patient’s health care. Selected personal information may be disclosed to other health providers directly involved in providing a health service to the individual. Limited patient information will also be shared within the practice for administrative and billing purposes and evaluation of the services we provide to our patients. We may also share patient information for medical research purposes with the consent of the patient.
Patient information is stored electronically and is secured using a range of security techniques and methods. Security safeguards are in place to ensure electronic information is protected against loss, modification, disclosure, unauthorized access or misuse. Patient Information received in paper form is scanned into the patient record. The paper copy is shredded.
Staff and contractors are required to sign confidentiality agreements, or to demonstrate they comply with State and Commonwealth privacy laws. All suspected infringements of privacy will be thoroughly investigated.
The following information about privacy is provided on our New Patient Registration forms. Parents or guardians are required to read and sign consent.
This medical practice collects information from you regarding your child for the primary purpose of providing quality health care. We require you to provide us with your and your child’s personal details and medical history so that we may properly assess, diagnose, treat and be proactive in your child’s health care needs. This means we will use the information you provide in the following ways:
• Disclosure to others involved in your child’s health care, including treating doctors and specialists outside this medical practice. This may occur through referral to other doctors, or for medical tests and in reports or results returned to us following the referrals.
• Disclosure to other doctors in the practice, locums, medical students and registrars attached to the practice for the purpose of patient care and teaching.
• We may also need to communicate with teachers, allied health providers and other professionals involved with your child.
Please let us know if you do not want your records accessed for the above purposes. This will be noted accordingly.
• In an emergency situation where it is in the best interest of your child’s health care we would disclose appropriate information if requested to do so.
• Administration purposes in running our medical practice
• Billing purposes, including compliance with Medicare and Health Insurance Commission requirements
Questions about patient health information can be discussed with the doctor at the time of consultation. Patients can request access to their health information held by the practice. On request, the practice will provide copies of records, in paper format. We will require photo proof of identity on collection.
If you have concerns about the way staff or doctors are handling your privacy please speak to the Practice Manager or your doctor as appropriate. Patients may also contact the Health Services Commissioner on 1300 582 113 or at www.health.vic.gov.au/hsc.